Today was just absolutely gorgeous. The snow on the sidewalks has melted enough that they are mostly dry; it was sunny, not too windy, and not at all cold.
It's a rare day when I can run while listening to John Mayer, Jack Johnson and the Postal Service, but it was really just that nice outside. Glorious.
So, as some of you know, I've run a few half-marathons in my time. And, as some of you know, I've been struggling with something of an injury lately (plantar fasciitis in my right foot). I thought running outside would be bad for it - the articles all say that running on the treadmill has less impact, so it's better when you're recovering - but I decided today was just too awesome to waste worrying about a sore foot.
The first 12 minutes were pretty great. Then there was just too much of the same for my foot to handle. Starting out uphill, everything was fine. But too much uphill, and it hurts. Same thing going back - too much downhill, hurts. The uneven (snow covered) ground, hurts a LOT. Wasn't expecting that one.
At this point, I have more endurance and energy than I can actually use whilst running, which is unfortunate (and so unusual for me). Running did hurt at times, but all in all, it wasn't so bad. And even though I feel like a frightened dog waiting for the next jolt of pain, it was totally worth it to get outside and actually run in the fresh air.
No comments:
Post a Comment