Monday, July 23, 2012

It's not you, it's Nebraska.

This was always meant to be a blog where I updated people on my life, but, in reality, it’s more like the blog where I go to vent, or to tell you about something really great that happened to me. Let me try my best to honor the original intention, if only for a few lines. 


UPDATE: It’s summer. I’ve finished my second year of law school. I’ve passed all my classes thus far (woo hoo!). I’m clerking (interning) at a law firm in downtown Lincoln for the summer (yay for jobs!). I’m house sitting for my professor and her hubby while they are out of town this summer (hot tub, baby!). I’m moving back in with my parents in the fall to save money (boo loans).


 I’m enjoying my job for the most part. There’s lots of research and I wish I was getting some experience doing other things, but I just got word yesterday that I might get to (have to?) argue a motion to dismiss, so that’s not too shabby, eh? I’m enjoying the summer for the most part, too. I’m having a ton of fun house sitting for my professor, although the dry weather is making all the plants very wilty.


I’m pretty excited for my third year of law school to start, although I’m really crazy nervous for it too. There are a lot of things I need to get done in the coming year (apply for jobs, study for and take the MPRE, apply for jobs, survive my fall classes, apply for jobs, register for a bar review course, figure out spring classes, apply for jobs, survive spring classes, graduate, apply for jobs, take the bar review course, apply for jobs, take the bar, apply for jobs, pass the bar, apply for jobs). But there are lots of things to look forward to as well (the back to school party, Husker football, tailgating, law prom, the end of semester party, one last long Christmas break, the spring back to school party, being done with school, the end of year party, graduation parties, the post-bar exam party). Basically my life over the next year will consist of the job application process combined with regularly scheduled parties, and occasional other activities that will barely be mentioned. Awesome. (If you can't tell if that is a genuine awesome or a sarcastic awesome, don't feel bad. I'm not entirely sure myself.)


And in other news…


I was recently told that I’ll never find a dude in Lincoln.


I’m sure you’re reading that, wondering – what insensitive creep told you that?


 Well, I hope that’s what you’re thinking anyway, because that’s what I think when I write it down.


But it really doesn’t matter who said it. The person who said it was actually trying to be reassuring. I hear this sentiment repeated pretty frequently, mostly from people not in the state, but from Nebraskans, too. It’s like they’re trying to say, “you haven’t found anyone yet because you’re living in effing Lincoln, Nebraska, yo!” Which, I suppose is nice. I’m sure it's supposed to mean something about dudes in Lincoln being lame bros or douchey losers or just generally being not good enough (or it’s a testament to how freakishly awesome I am), but here’s what I take away from the statement:


1. You need to leave.
Okay, maybe not right this second or anything, but you’re never going to get what you want here, so you better peace out, and quick. That’s awesome! The only way I can find a suitable partner is if I leave all of my friends and family? Good to know. I’m really looking forward to making that decision soon! Hurrah!


2. Something is wrong with you that you can’t tie a dude down here.
I hate when people say that someone isn’t good enough for you and that’s why you’re not with them. Or maybe they mean that’s why it’s good that you’re not with them, but what you hear is the first sentence I wrote. By the principles of the distributive property (see this for an explanation) ), this feels like a blanket assertion that covers me in relation to all men. Not just, “he’s not good enough for you,” but rather, “none of them are good enough for you, so don’t worry about it, boo.” Yeah, yeah, yeah. But, as we all know, deep in our heart of hearts, if we really were too good for the dude, we’d be with the dude (remember Clueless?). That’s how it works. If someone is genuinely not good enough for you, but nothing else is wrong, you’d be able to score them (check out my list of priors for reference – BURN!). The real issue here is that there is something wrong with you that people don’t like. I suppose it could be regional, but I highly doubt it.


And that’s just my two cents on someone else’s two cents that, you know, I wouldn’t have broken the bank to go without.

No comments:

Post a Comment