Thursday, August 19, 2010

Colorado is calling...

Sorry it's been a while since I last updated my bloggy blog. Things have been a bit busy here, and I'll tell you why...

When we last left off, I had just finished telling you all of my fantastic family trip to the cabins at Platte River State Park, and of my growing excitement and anticipation for both my trip to Colorado and the beginning of my law school career. As I write to you now, I have returned from Colorado and just finished my first official day of Orientation at law school.

Let's start with Colorado… I went to Colorado with my best friend Mikayla to visit our other best friend Whitney who recently gave birth to the beautiful baby girl Zia. Mikayla and I drove to CO, a trip I know many of you would consider quite boring, but there's a reason I"m in Nebraska and it's because I have a very great love for wide open spaces, rolling hills, corn fields, soy bean fields, sunflower fields, open blue skies and decrepit windmills. That pretty much describes the landscape for about 6.5 hours of the 8 hour trip. Nebraska is a truly beautiful state, especially in the Spring and Summer times. Colorado is, of course, a lovely state as well. I always enjoy the mountains and the canyons and the multiple levels of ear poppery.

Our visit with Whitney and Zia (and Joe - Zia's daddy, and Chris - Zia's uncle) was pretty much fantastic - definitely one of the best trips I've had in a long time. It was great to see my best friend again. I think sometimes we forget how important it can be to actually see each other - to hear laughter, see the eyes smile, give real hugs. It's refreshing and nourishing to the soul (excessively descriptive, I know, but so true). Zia is such a cute and perfect little baby girl. She has the most beautiful and infectious smile! Toward the end of our visit, I could tickle her plump little cheeks and her little bitty chin and she would smile in the most adorable way. She is also a very blessed little girl, to have such loving and devoted parents, and an uncle who obviously cares very much for her. That house is full of love.

We didn't do much while we were in Colorado, besides fawn over Zia, catch up with Whit, and get to know Joe and Chris. Mikayla and I took a quick trip to Estes Park to see the canyon, the mountains and the Stanley Hotel (which The Shining is based on). Whitney, Mikayla and I also went shopping in downtown Fort Collins, took Zia and the dogs (Balou and Nanook) for walks, and on Saturday we took a big trip to the river (minus Uncle Chris). The river was pretty excellent - there were lots of families with dogs there and it was just a really relaxing and beautiful place to spend a few hours and get some sun.

It was incredibly difficult to leave Fort Collins. I knew that I would be returning to Lincoln to face the regimented ferocity of law school, while I was leaving behind a world of natural beauty, outdoor excitement and home full of loving friends. More than once, I wanted to turn the car around and bid "adieu" to Lincoln and law school. I think this kind of panic and uncertainty is common among 1Ls. I've spoken with a few others already who are nervous, intimidated, completely unsure of what we are attempting to throw ourselves, head first, into. But the car moved steadily east, away from rock climbing, camping and my cute baby Zia, and toward a different kind of adventure.

And so I write to you today from a favorite coffee shop of mine in the big small-town that is Lincoln, Nebraska. I've finished my first day of Orientation, in addition to some other pre-Orientation events, and I've briefed one case and will commence the reading and briefing of another once I finish this blog. I'm excited for law school. Sometimes I forget my own ambitions, until a zealous law professor raves passionately about his love of the law, or bright and eager 2Ls chat about their Law Review articles, or my orientation welcome is performed by the Chief Justice of the Nebraska Supreme Court, or the Chief Justice of the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals talks to me about ethics. Oh yes, it's been a fun couple of days. More about this on Saturday - I promise!

Love you all,
Samantha.

P.S. If anyone is curious about my Hot Fuji Snow, it's the awesome drink I get at the CoHo with mint tea, cream and vanilla. Delish!

1 comment: